Q: Traction control light comes on occasionally in dry weather

Sometimes the traction control light comes on during dry weather and goes out. The traction control is not activated. Could disconnecting the battery reset the computer?

A: The traction control system is dependent on...

The traction control system is dependent on wheel speed sensors at all 4 wheels. It reads the speed of each individual wheel. If it detects a wheel or wheels, spinning faster than other wheels, it can apply braking or reduce engine power. If the light comes on, one of the wheel speed sensors can be at fault.

Also, any major difference one or more tires can cause a faulty wheel speed reading. If any one or more tires, are excessively worn or a different size than others, an intermittent fault can be registered in the system.

If you’d like to get this fixed, have one of our mobile technicians inspect your traction control system to be sure and make the necessary repairs.