Q: Check engine light

asked by on December 04, 2016

car has been to shop 3 times since black friday should i return the car or seek a different shop

Hello. P0171 is the trouble code for a lean condition at bank 1. This can be caused by a wide variety of issues, primarily issues with the engine management or fuel systems, and therefore can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. A lean condition occurs when the engine’s air fuel ratio is disturbed due to a lack of fuel. This can be caused by issues with the fuel pump or injectors, or sensors such as the mass airflow sensor. If you have had to return to the shop 3 times for the same issue then the shop has not corrected the problem. I would take it back to them to see if they can figure it out and take care of it. If they are unable to I would then recommend having a different shop or technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the cause of your lean condition.