Q: Headlights don’t always work, what’s the problem?

asked by on November 03, 2015

The headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius are defective. The one on the right will randomly shut off when the lights are on and then it will pop right back on when I restart the car. I don’t like there are these buggy little issues at only 69,000 miles. This is really annoying and has gotten me pulled over before. I do not want any electrical issues with this car, electricity plays a big role, right? Is this worse in a hybrid?

The headlights in your vehicle are high intensity display (HID) and work differently than the old-style headlight bulbs. These HID when they start to go bad will either start to dim or will blink on and off. The fix for your car would be to replace the headlight bulbs. The old- style bulbs would just burn out and not give any warning they are going bad. Have YourMechanic replace both front headlight bulbs with HID-style bulbs.