Q: My front end is making a popping noise

asked by on November 14, 2016

Front end was making a popping noise changed wheel hub assembly on both sides still making a popping noise what else could it be?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $197.63 - $1017.38 Get a Quote

This is a common sign of a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps.

The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking or popping sound coming from this area.

If you’d like to get this fixed, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the noise firsthand and service your CV joints as necessary.