Q: Squeaking brakes

asked by on November 11, 2016

4 months ago I got new break pads on my car. They are Napa break pads. For the first month they squealed a little when going at low speeds but it wasn't often. I thought that I just had to break them in. Then it stopped all together. Now all of the sudden out of no where when slowly coming to a stop they squeak very loudly. This happens literally every time I stop or slowly come to a stop. It can't be that they are wearing down because I just got them. Also I always have my car in a garage so it isn't due to do or condensation in the morning. It is so annoying and needs to stop. Is there anything that can be done easily and cheaply to fix it. I no nothing about fixing cars and don't want to spend a lot of money to have someon fix it so what would be my options? Please help. Thanks!!

Hello there, squeaking brakes can be caused my many different faults on your 2008 Volvo XC90. The most common causes are the improper brake pad material. There are two different kinds of brake pad material that are common, semi-metallic, and ceramic. If the wrong type is used, the brakes will squeak. Without knowing which was used on your vehicle, I cannot determine if that is the cause or not. Other possible causes are the backing plate touching the rotor, warped rotors, dragging brake caliper, or uneven brake fluid pressure. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the brake squeaking and perform any repairs required to fix the issue.