Q: Bad frame rot, is it worth the repair?

I am facing a substantial bill to replace the frame in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma with only 51,000 miles on it. I am extremely disappointed in Toyota for making a product that couldn’t last for even a decade without rotting away. I will not be buying another Toyota in the future unless they do a recall or reimburse me! Is there any way to repair the frame or replace it for less than $10,000?

Greetings and thank you for writing in about this problem! This is a well-known concern for this generation of Tacoma. Toyota is well aware of the issue and has provided a recall for this concern (TSB LSC-90D). The original recall letters were only sent to owners in the following US states: CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, and WV. If you are not a resident of those states, you may not have received a letter. Additionally, Toyota dealerships in the area you live may not be fully aware of the recall (if they weren’t included in the original letter). It would be best to take the vehicle to your local Toyota dealer for a proper inspection. Act quickly though, as the vehicle must be inspected prior to March 31, 2016 in order to be considered for the recall. Upon inspection, if there is rot in the frame components, Toyota will replace the frame at no cost to the owner.