Q: Car tries to die when I give it some gas.

My car starts up and idles, but when I give it some gas it wants to die.

A unmetered air leak can cause this symptom of the engine sputtering or dying on acceleration. Rubber intake boots and vacuum lines need to be checked for leaks. If no obvious leaks are detected then the intake system may need to be smoke checked. Fault codes should be read out of the engine computer to eliminate other air/fuel supply issues such as a faulty MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor or faulty oxygen sensor. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, with necessary tools and equipment to assist in the diagnosis and repair.