Q: 2007 Ford Fusion Airbag Code B2290

asked by on October 18, 2017

It has airbag warning light turns on & passenger air bag light goes off, after few seconds of ignition/engine on. I hooked up the scanner and it gives B2290 code stating Occupant Classification System fault, I tried erasing the code, but unable to do it, as it comes right back on. I unplugged the wiring to OCM (or occupant detection / weight) sensor part#14B422 underneath the passenger seat, and then ofcourse, then I was able to erase the B2290 code. But it came back on, when I plugged the sensor back. I also took it to a body shop as they have high end diagnostic tools, and they said recalibrating the OCM sensor should fix the issue, they tried to recalibrate it two times was successfully completed but the code didn't go away. So they are suspecting that OCM sensor could be bad itself, and need to be replaced. Its an expensive part $180, I don't want to just replace it, if its really not required. Looking for 2nd opinion or suggestion to how to really identify the problem part.

Anytime the airbag light and system has faults there are specialized equipment and procedures that need to be used in order to properly test the system. If you are getting module faults on this vehicle the most common causes are wiring and sensors causing the problem. Sometimes on these OSM modules if the connector was disconnected and when reconnected if connector was not put back in perfectly straight may bend pins or push pins into module and damage it. You may need to inspect module and pins for damage and look for pins that may not be exactly even with all others indicating module was damaged.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr