Q: Electric front seat not moving forward

asked by on February 03, 2016

My electric front seat doesn't move forward. An object was jammed underneath but removed. Now, it is making a grinding sound.

Electric seats run on a track with motors that adjust it in the direction you choose. The gears in the motors are sometimes made of plastic. Under normal situations the plastic gears hold up fine, but if there is an obstruction and you force the motor, the gear can break. Once the plastic gear breaks the seat wont move but you will still hear the motor trying to turn when you hit the button. Some seat track motors are replaceable, but usually the whole seat track must be replaced as a unit. A mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your seating and determine what exactly needs to be replaced.