Q: Loss of power and jerking when accelerating

asked by on October 24, 2016

nissan juke wont pass over 40 mph and it jerks when i step on the gas. and the turbo doesnt make the whistling sound

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. This sounds like the turbo shift broke and the turbo quit working. To test the turbo, put the vehicle in an open area and set the parking brake. Step on the service brake to the floor and put the transmission in drive. Step on the gas pedal to the floor for 6 seconds. This will perform a stall on the transmission and fully load the engine.

If the turbo is working, it will whistle with full boost. If you do not hear any whistling, then the turbo shaft, intake fan, or exhaust fan has broke and the turbo needs replaced. When replacing a turbo, check the oil feed line and the oil drain line for any clogging.

If you need assistance with your turbo, then seek out a professional, preferably a professional from YourMechanic who can diagnose this loss of power firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.