Q: Broken hub bearing

Hello, I have Costco install new all season tires yesterday and noticed that on the way home, the steering wheel wobbles when I hit 100km. I took it back the next day only to be informed that there is something wrong with my hub and that I should get it towed as it is not safe to drive it back home. My question is if they have changed the tires, should they have at least noticed that there is something wrong with the hub in the first place? As a mechanic, for changing tires, is it one of the things they should check for before sending the client away to drive a car with a faulty hub bearing? Thank you.

A: You are absolutely correct. If the vehicle ...

You are absolutely correct. If the vehicle even gets raised up off of the ground the front wheels should be shaken down to see if any play exists. This is especially true if the tires were being replaced. There is a possibility that the person who installed your tires missed the bad hub bearing.

I would recommend having your vehicle serviced by a company whose sole mission is to repair automobiles. If you’d like to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and service your wheel hub bearing as necessary.