Q: Difficulty starting 1992 Volvo 740 when the engine warms up

My car has difficulty starting up when the engine is warmed up. I don't have any problems to start it when the engine is cold. But, when I drive it for a while and then park it to get something done, when I get back to continue driving it would start cranking a lot but wouldn't start. It take the car several hours to restart after that. I've done many repair on it already. I had the fuel injectors replaced; I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires; cam shaft sensor and crank shaft sensor are replaced; I changed the distributor cap as well. The problem remained. When I start the car, there is a sound of the fuel pump under the driver's seat rotating. However, I'm not sure about the other one, as the car has two fuel pumps. What should I do?

The fuel pressure on your 1992 Volvo 749 should be checked to make sure it is within proper specifications. If there is a clog or malfunction in the fuel system, the car may experience a poor running situation or may be hard to start. A faulted engine coolant temperature sensor is another cause for a no start situation. When these fail, generally they do so in a manner that constantly tells the computer the engine is cold and thus causes problems on warm starts. If you would like to have this done, an expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and let you know what needs to be done.

3. Difficulty starting 1992 Volvo 740 when the engine warms up