Q: Oil pressure goes to 0 after 1 minute from start up

When I turn on the truck on for a minute from start up my oil pressure goes to 0 but then when I push the gas it goes to 35 then when the engine is hot the gauge stays at 20 but when I hit the gas it goes to 35. I wanna know exactly what this issue is before talking to a mechanic in person

The engine specifications are 6 psi below 1000 rpms. It will go up 18 psi at 2000 rpm and 24 psi at 4000 rpm. The instrument panel will illuminate the Low Oil Pressure Light if the pressure is low from the signal from the oil pressure sensor.

I would recommend having the oil pressure tested to make sure you are not going to 0 psi at idle. The first thing to do is make sure that the oil is full, but not overfull or lower than a half quart low. If the oil pressure tests okay, then have the sending unit replaced.

The sending unit is on the back of the intake manifold near the firewall. It is pretty hard to get to and you will need an oil sender socket to get it out. If the oil pressure is low then the oil pump or relief valve is causing the problem or you have bad bearings in the engine. The most common problem is the sending unit.