Q: Squealing noise from front end during low speed turns.

asked by on February 23, 2017

My truck recently started a squealing noise during slow speed turns, like driving in a parking lot or garage (under 15 mph). I have jacked the truck to check the wheel bearing assemblies. They seem operable, do not move, and do not make any sounds during rotation of the wheels. I also visually inspected the 4x4 front universals. They appear in fair shape and do NOT feel hot after operation. Lastly, the vehicle was stopped and I fully turned the wheels in both directions several times, but no squealing. So, I don't think it's the ball joints.
The squealing/squeaking noise is synchronized with the rotation of the front wheel. As the wheel turns slowly, you can hear the noise once it reaches a specific point in the rotation. The noise initially began on the front right, but now it appears it is also coming from the front left. What is your best guess on this issue, as it is becoming very annoying. Thank you for your attention on this issue.

Hi there. The noise you’re hearing is metal-to-metal contact. Due to this fact, the best guess would be the wheel bearings starting to fail. When the bearings begin to wear out, the first symptom is commonly noise like you’ve described. The physical test is done to confirm that they are broken. So, it is highly likely that the wheel bearings are causing the noise. Replacing them (especially if this hasn’t been done before) is probably due since your vehicle is more than six years old.