Q: Q: White smoke

White smoke from tailpipe at start up on a 2006 Turbo PT Cruiser

White smoke from the tail pipe on start up is normal. Your PT Cruiser’s exhaust system gets hot and attracts moisture when it cools. Much like the condensation on your windshield in the morning. When you first start your car, it is boiling this moisture away.

Many people confuse this for a blown head gasket. If it has a blown head gasket, it would continue to smoke more and more as the car warms up. When you give it throttle, it will puff a larger amount of smoke.

As long as the white steam goes away after the car is fully warm, everything is fine. Keep in mind, the colder or wetter the climate you live in, the more condensation will accumulate in the exhaust. If the smoke persists even after the car has warmed up, you may want to have a technician inspect the smoke firsthand to determine the cause.

Good luck!

3. Q: White smoke