Q: My 2012 Scion tC will over rev when I'm trying to accelerate.

asked by on October 04, 2017

My 2012 Scion tC will over rev when I'm trying to accelerate in gears 4, 5, and 6. The car has trouble getting from 55 to 60 mph in a reasonable amount of time. Is this a clutch issue?

If your clutch is slipping you will be able to hear the engine rev, and the tachometer rise without any apparent acceleration of the car. It tends to happen in the higher gears because that is when the load on the clutch is highest. At 61000 miles, it’s a bit early to have a worn out clutch, but how long the clutch lasts can depend a lot on your driving style. You should have this car checked out to be sure that is the problem before doing anything drastic. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Scion and let you know what it is going to take to sort it out.