Q: Timing and crankshaft pulley 2003 Volvo S60

I have a 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T, in the process of doing a timing belt and water pump replacement and had the timing marks aligned and when I was trying to get the large center nut off of the crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft pulley somehow turned about a 1/4 of a full turn while the top two pulley's did not turn because I had them locked into place! How and why did this happen? Could it just be that the pulley just turned and not the shaft? Do you think it could have bent or broken some valves? What should I do? Can I do anything? Also not sure if it is relevant but I had the TTV cylinoid off the top of the cam cover!

Hi there - you have probably not bent valves yet, but damage is not far away. Replacing timing belts on these engines requires fixtures to hold the crankshaft and camshafts in certain positions while changing the belt for this reason. This is especially true when removing the crankshaft damper/pulley bolt, which is held on with tremendous force (250-400 lb ft of torque) on many engines. Without a doubt, you turned the crankshaft, not just the pulley. The camshaft position solenoid (variable valve timing) may also require precise positioning for reinstallation. I recommend a timing belt installation and Variable Valve Timing solenoid replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, realign your crankshaft and camshafts, then reassemble your engine, and get you back on your way.