Q: When engine warms up and goes in reverse, it shuts off

My car has gone 270,000 miles. Around 60,000 miles ago, I had the transmission replaced. I've been experiencing some issues when the engine gets warmed up, after driving about 15 minutes or so. Then, if I start going into reverse, the vehicle would stall out. This happens only while backing up and when the engine is warmed up, so if I do this with cold engine, I have no issues. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. What might be the cause of this?

Hello there. This is a bit of a rare issue on the 1990 Chevrolet K2500. There are a few possible causes that come to mind with the issues going into reverse. The most common would be a shift solenoid, torque converter, transmission linkage, transmission range sensor, or a mechanical issue with the transmission. Without knowing all that was done during the repair, I cannot offer a more specific answer. To have this looked at more thoroughly, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the stalling problem and perform any repairs required.

3. When engine warms up and goes in reverse, it shuts off