Q: When engine warms up and goes in reverse, it shuts off

My car has gone 270,000 miles. Around 60,000 miles ago, I had the transmission replaced. I've been experiencing some issues when the engine gets warmed up, after driving about 15 minutes or so. Then, if I start going into reverse, the vehicle would stall out. This happens only while backing up and when the engine is warmed up, so if I do this with cold engine, I have no issues. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. What might be the cause of this?

A: Hello there. This is a bit of a rare issue ...

Hello there. This is a bit of a rare issue on the 1990 Chevrolet K2500. There are a few possible causes that come to mind with the issues going into reverse. The most common would be a shift solenoid, torque converter, transmission linkage, transmission range sensor, or a mechanical issue with the transmission. Without knowing all that was done during the repair, I cannot offer a more specific answer. To have this looked at more thoroughly, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the stalling problem and perform any repairs required.