Q: Car died after running the AC

asked by on February 11, 2016

I was running the AC while the engine was off and now the car won't start. I tried to jumpstart it, but the battery showed no signs of a charge last night.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. Running the AC with the engine off will definitely drain your battery. Most automotive batteries are designed to last last about 3-5 years. Being that your vehicle is a 2002, it should be on its 3rd or 4th battery by now, and is likely due for another replacement. As batteries age, the cells inside them die and lose they’re ability to recharge after being drained. That is likely why your vehicle will not start even if it is being jumped. I suggest having the battery tested to determine wether the battery is bad.

While testing the battery, it is also a good idea to test your test your starter and charging system to ensure no other issues are crippling the health of your battery. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the starting problem with your vehicle and replace any failing parts.