Q: Car lunged backward 10 feet in parking lot

Recently I was parked in a large parking lot and when I got into my car and turned it on, it lunged backwards. Instead of backing out of the parking spot, I decided to make a call using my bluetooth. That took about 10 minutes and then after hanging up, I released the emergency brake, moved the stick shift to Reverse, and had my foot on the brake. When I released the brake, the car lunged backward very hard, about 10 feet across the parking lot where other cars could have been parked or a pedestrian, but fortunately were not. I immediately put my foot on the brake, stopping the car. I don’t have any idea what caused the lunging of the engine. I’ve driven Toyotas for many years and never had this before. When researching online, I deducted that it might have been the power train that was the problem. Do you agree or is it something else and what should I do?

A: My suggestion is to have a dealer look into...

My suggestion is to have a dealer look into it and see if they have a fix or even verify the cause of the complaint. You may have an active recall for your vehicle for the acceleration problem and the car may be covered under warranty since it is still fairly new. Contact your dealer to see if your vehicle is covered.