Q: Brakes don't work correctly at temperatures below zero

The brakes in my car quit working when the temperatures are below zero. If I try to apply the brakes, the pedal wouldn't go all the way but just to the certain point and then becomes blocked for 10-20 seconds. After that, the brake pedal would go all the way down and start working again. I went to the dealer because of this problem and they said everything is fine. I was told that I should get the brakes warmed up before I start driving the car. I guess I need another opinion on the issue. Do you think that the braking system in my car is faulty or is this normal? Thank you in advance.

There are two brake booster vacuum check valves that will stick in cold weather for about a minute. These two valves supply vacuum to the brake booster and will cause reduced power assist to the brakes until they start to open and allow vacuum. The two vacuum check valves should be replaced with one with the new design. These were covered under a bulletin, but the bulletin is no longer active for free replacement. However, the parts should still be available. The old ones are white and the new ones are bigger and black in color. The valves are in the vacuum lines from the booster to the engine in two places in the line. Have your brake pedal problem inspected and repaired by a certified technician to ensure that you can get back on the road safely.

3. Brakes don't work correctly at temperatures below zero