Q: What tips should I know about using the TPMS?

What tips should I know about using the TPMS?

A: Your car is equipped with a tire pressure m...

Your car is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that keeps tabs on the amount of air in each tire. However, there are a few things you should know about how it works to make sure that you’re able to use the system correctly. Here you go:

1. The TPMS does not check the air in the spare tire (it’s not equipped with a sensor).

2. The Low Tire Pressure light won’t turn off immediately after adding air to the tire. You have to drive for several miles at more than 16 MPH to activate the system.

3. If the TPMS notices that a tire is low, it will turn on the Low Tire Pressure light in the dash, not the TPMS light. If the TPMS light comes on, that means there’s a problem with the system (such as a failed pressure sensor).

4. You’ll see a message reading check tire pressure in the vehicle display center in addition to the Low Tire Pressure light in the dash. Both should turn off when the tire is aired up and the system rechecks the pressure.