Q: Car jerking and surging as it accelerates

asked by on February 02, 2016

My car has a problem accelerating sometimes and will jerk or surge as it picks up speed. I changed the spark plugs recently, but that wasn't the problem.

Hi there. This problem can be caused by a few things. First, your vehicle may be having trouble getting fuel to your engine. This would mean that there is an obstruction in your fuel lines or your fuel filter. Next, your vehicle maybe experiencing trouble with its torque converter. This is what delivers power from your engine, to your transmission, to your front wheels. Lastly your vehicle maybe experiencing a loss of vacuum in its intake system causing a jerky motion upon acceleration. A mechanic from YourMechanic can be sent to your home in order to determine the cause of your car’s jerking issue and make any repairs that are needed.