Q: Shaking and low idling in neutral, car stall and runs rough in gear

asked by on May 25, 2016

While driving at highway speeds, it happens that my shifter strongly jerks back and forth when I put it in neutral. While in neutral, it idles less than 170 RPM. The car stopped running while I was at the stop light, so I restarted it. But, I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal so that it wouldn't stall again. There is no check engine light on. The engine keeps running but it is a bit rough in gear. What could be the problem here? Thank you.

Hello. The two most common issues that cause this are a bad crank or cam sensor, or a failing throttle body. I usually install a scan tool and see if the sensors are reading right. If they are, then I try cleaning the throttle body to see if it helps. If that does not help, then I check the functionality of the throttle body and replace it if necessary. I have also had the computer fail on this car and cause this, but that is not as common. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your shaking and idling issue.