Q: Shaking and low idling in neutral, car stall and runs rough in gear

While driving at highway speeds, it happens that my shifter strongly jerks back and forth when I put it in neutral. While in neutral, it idles less than 170 RPM. The car stopped running while I was at the stop light, so I restarted it. But, I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal so that it wouldn't stall again. There is no check engine light on. The engine keeps running but it is a bit rough in gear. What could be the problem here? Thank you.

A: Hello. The two most common issues that caus...

Hello. The two most common issues that cause this are a bad crank or cam sensor, or a failing throttle body. I usually install a scan tool and see if the sensors are reading right. If they are, then I try cleaning the throttle body to see if it helps. If that does not help, then I check the functionality of the throttle body and replace it if necessary. I have also had the computer fail on this car and cause this, but that is not as common. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your shaking and idling issue.