Q: Leak around the crankshaft seals

I have a leak around the crankshaft seals in my car's engine.

Hello. This is a simple yet involved fix. The crankshaft seal is located behind the crank and timing belt cover. In order to complete this repair, it is necessary to remove the timing belt and timing belt cover, in order to replace the crank seal. When it is necessary to make a repair of a crankshaft seal, it is often recommended that the water pump and timing belt, which are located in the same area, be replaced as well. The reason for this recommendation is because of how timely and costly it can be to access this area. The timing belt and water pump are routinely changed every 50,000-60,000 miles. If you don’t know when or if these two components were last replaced, it would be a good idea to have the technician doing your repair to inspect them and make a recommendation as to whether they should be replaced. A certified technician would be happy to assist you with this repair in order to get your leak fixed.