Q: Grinding on back right of car when breaking

asked by on August 25, 2016

My car recently started to make a grinding noise when I break coming from the back passenger side, especially on hills. I have recently had the front break pads changed by a Your mechanic and he explained my back breaks are only engaged when I use my emergency break. Please help.

sent to CS

Without knowing the year, make, or model of your vehicle, I can tell you that the symptoms you are experiencing are typical of a vehicle with extremely low brake friction material. I hope the technician explained to you differently and maybe you misunderstood. The rear brakes do engage every time the brake pedal is applied; This is the same whether you have rear drum or disc. Inquire within with your concerns and request a brake inspection to have us take another look. The material can be worn out or debris may have found it’s way into the mix.