Q: I accidentally dropped 2 quarters in my car shifter. Will my car be okay?

I drive a Nissan Altima. While I was cleaning out my car, I accidentally dropped 2 quarters in my car shifter. Will my car be okay?

There is probably nothing exposed in the way of wiring in that location and even if there is the wiring terminals are insulated. Of course, the issue with foreign metal and potential wiring is short circuits. If you hear no noise (from interference) and the shifter works normally, you need not worry. If you were able to introduce that foreign matter, typically vehicle designers are aware of that possibility and if the consequences of dropping a coin in there were really serious, they would have made it impossible to do so. You do have options though: a mechanic can view the coins on a borescope and let you know for sure where they came to rest and/or the mechanic can retrieve the coins using miniature retrieval tools. If you desire either option, simply request service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you, right at your location. If you have any further questions at all regarding this service, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I accidentally dropped 2 quarters in my car shifter. Will my car be okay?