Q: My Clutch is loose and my car won't shift.

asked by on August 17, 2017

The clutch pedal is loose until it reaches close to the floor. Normally it is resistant and 'springy' all the way down. The car will not shift gears. My clutch/brake fluid reservoir is full, and I cant see any leaks. Based on a little research, I believe it may be a master or slave cylinder, but wanted a more knowledgeable opinion.

Hi Colburn. It’s quite possible that the master or slave cylinder is the root source of your problem - as this is a common symptom associated with these components when damaged or leaking fluid. Abnormal pedal pressure is another symptom of a potential problem with a bad or failing master cylinder. If the cylinder develops any internal issues, it will directly affect the feel of the pedal. A leaky cylinder may cause the pedal to feel mushy or spongy, and in more severe cases, will lead to a pedal that will sink to the floor and stay there when depressed. Anytime you replace one, it is best practices to replace both at the same time.