Q: How many hours does it take to replace the head gasket?

asked by on February 01, 2017

My car has a coolant leak and it would run really hot so I had to stop every so often to fill it with water so one night it overheated so I parked it came back in the morning and there was oil and coolant all over the ground and it didn't start so I'm guessing it messed up the head gasket.

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If a car engine has overheated, the time and cost involved in replacing a head gasket depends on whether the existing head and block are serviceable. A complication is if the overheating was severe, the head and block might have to be resurfaced, or replaced, because overheating tends to warp these parts. When you replace a head gasket, if the surfaces of the block and the head are not flat within .002 inches (i.e., one-half the thickness of a hair), if you apply a new gasket, it will simply leak again. If the surfaces are not flat, they have to be machined and that means that potentially the block might have to be removed from the car and disassembled. A certified mechanic can look at what you have to be sure there is no "easy" fix (e.g., you want to be sure that the leak is really at the head gasket) and give you a slate of repair options. Please simply request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will let you know of your options and answer all of your questions. If you have additional concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.