Q: My steering wheel locks up and the car turns off whenever I slow down.

One day, when I was parallel parking, one of my wheels got stuck awkwardly on the curb. When I tried to drive forward a little to get out, the car turned off completely and I couldn't press the gas nor steer since the steering wheel was locked up. So I turned off the car and restarted it and it seemed normal. It let me back out of the spot and drive. Though, now every time I slow to a stop, my car will do this uncomfortable chugging and will feel like I am out of gas or something else serious, followed by the car turning off when I stop at stoplight or stop sign. One time it even happened just from slowing down before a right turn. Every time it happens, the car allows me to turn it on again with no problem. My dad recommended getting injection cleaner, after doing that my car seemed to gradually stop dying. Even though it's not happening fully, I still notice the awkward chugging when I press the gas, like Im shifting gears but maybe it's something else more serious?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The steering wheel lock solenoid is shorting out when driving the vehicle. To fix this, you will need to disconnect the battery and remove the steering wheel and airbag assembly. Then remove the turn signal switch and spring assembly. Then you will see the steering wheel lock and the steering wheel lock solenoid. Check the wires to the solenoid for any bare wires. If there are no bare wires, then replace the solenoid. Put the turn signal switch and spring assembly back in. Then hook up the steering wheel and airbag assembly. Then when everything is hooked up, connect the battery and test drive the vehicle. If you need further assistance troubleshooting the steering wheel lock solenoid, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle.

• My steering wheel locks up and the car turns off whenever I slow down.