Q: Q: brakes

I had my brakes checked and pads replaced. A couple of hours later the brakes started squeeking and later on they started grinding every time I brake. I took it back and the man said it was normal. It sounds terrible . Is it normal to do that?

Brake noise is not normal and is due to the failure to use OEM (dealer supplied) brake pads, apply shims to the pads as required in the OEM set-up, use appropriate anti-squeal compounds, and also failure to properly re-surface the brake rotor. If the brake rotors on your vehicle were not re-surfaced or replaced (preferably by new OEM Nissan rotors and not junk rotors from Autozone) then the job was NOT done properly. You cannot apply new pads on rotors that have not been resurfaced because rotors wear in use and not evenly, they get glazed, develop ridges and, worst of all, if there is a variation in thickness around the rotor that exceeds merely one-quarter the thickness of a human hair you will get vibration and pedal pulsation on braking. In a sense, brake rotors are a precision component on the vehicle. Plus, your new brake pads will wear out prematurely, if applied to used rotors that were NOT turned on a lathe, and stopping distance will NOT be as short as it could be due to sub-optimal pad contact with the rotor. If the rotors were NOT turned, I would ask for a 100% refund because the job was not done according to the explicit instruction set forth in the Factory Service Manual that Nissan laboriously put together for your car. Once you get a refund hire a conscientious professional to do the job according to the instructions, all of them. If you would like a careful evaluation of your vehicle’s brake system, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake safety inspection and the responding certified mechanic will address any and all concerns that you have and then list for you all brake parts that must be re-conditioned or replaced in order to restore your brake system to like new condition. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.