Q: A/C and heat are not working properly. Car blows heat in summer and cool air in winter.

My car's A/C and heat are not working. I have had my 2003 dodge neon sxt for about two years. I bought it used, but when I bought it the cooling and heating systems were working properly. During the winter months in 2015-2016, I took my car to a dealership, where they said the heating coil needed cleaned or replaced. I chose the cheaper option to have them clean the heating coil. It helped my heat work well for a little while, but considering I don't drive my car every day, I can't remember exactly when it started to seem like the heat was weak. This winter, I didn't have heat at all. It was cold even if I sat in the car for 45 minutes or longer trying to get it warm. Now to the a/c side of things, my a/c was working all of the summer of 2015. The a/c quit working last summer in 2016, and a family member who works with a/c systems emptied out old refrigerant and then proceeded to recharge my car's a/c. That worked for about a month before the a/c went out again and has been out since.

Common causes of no cabin heat include malfunctioning blend door(s) (part of the in-dash ventilation network), a faulty or stuck heater control valve, a plugged heater core, stuck open engine cooling thermostat, collapsed hoses, and low coolant level. The cost to resolve the problem depends on which of the foregoing faults is the cause. If you desire a diagnostic to determine exactly why there is no cabin heat, please request a non functioning cabin heater diagnostic and the responding mechanic will come right to your location and get this resolved for you promptly.

With regard to your air conditioning system, if merely re-charging the system restored normal operation but the a/c ceased to function after a month or so, that scenario typically suggests a leak. Some leaks are really cheap to repair, like if a couple o-rings need to be replaced in system piping but if the leak is at the compressor shaft seal, that repair is more costly. It is not expensive to find the leak and diagnose the system and once the leak is found the mechanic can let you know of the exact cost to repair the leak and re-charge the system. If you desire that service please request an a/c system diagnostic - suspected refrigerant leak and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you

3. A/C and heat are not working properly. Car blows heat in summer and cool air in winter.