Q: power steering not working

I've been having problems with misfires on my cylinders – 3 different ones. After taking it to the repair garage I only had 1 misfire in my first cylinder. Now my power steering seems to be failing. While I am driving I feel a tug on my steering wheel. I drive OK then all of a sudden my power steering stops functioning causing my steering wheel to lock up and forcing the wheel into the direction needed. I would have to tug at my wheel - left and right – to stay in control. This has almost caused an accident! I got a diagnostic check, but nothing came up regarding the power steering. They flushed out my old fluid and replaced it with new fluid. I still have the same problem. Help please. Thanks.

A: You probably know this already, but I must ...

You probably know this already, but I must mention that driving with the faulty power steering is very dangerous. This is definitely not an issue that can wait. The trouble could be in the power steering pump, belt/tensioner, or steering rack. Since you mention the previous mechanic was unable to find and fix the misfire, and unable to find and fix the power steering issue, it may be time for a new mechanic to take a look at the situation. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose your power steering system and let you know exactly how to best proceed.