Q: My car turns over but wont start.

asked by on September 18, 2017

The car turns over and lights up the "check engine light" but doesn't start. Its not the battery and i know that for sure cause I tried jump starting it and the battery was just replaced around 6-7 months ago. The car randomly died after I went to the park to play bball. It sounds as if it wants to start but never does...

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

At 125000 miles, it could be just about anything. Since your car is a late model, it will have a very sophisticated self-diagnostic system that should have a code stored for whatever is failing. A random seeming failure like this makes me think of security issues or of a crank position sensor. The power train codes can be read by an OBD capable device like the ones they have at the auto parts stores. While it is something you can do yourself, interpreting the trouble codes is better done by someone with experience, otherwise you might spend money on something you don’t need. You can have the car checked out by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to look at your stubborn Lexus and let you know what it is going to take to solve your problem.