Q: Engine cuts off

This is an intermittent issue but after driving for several hours i get off the free way and at low speeds my car suddenly shuts off and the battery light illuminates while my car free roles until i brake. The car instantly starts back up but continues to shut off every half a mile or so. Only after the car sits for a while will it return back to normal. I thought it was the MAF sensor but i replaced it and it still happens. No sign of over heating at all.

Engine heat can degrade components such as ignition coils and the crankshaft position sensor. The components will then fail once they are hot. There are other possible causes of the stalling, too, such as the fuel pump relay opening or a fuel pump circuit fault. To find the cause of intermittent stalling, the testing has to be performed at or during the incidents. If really hard to find, it may be that data loggers would have to be wired in to capture enough data to determine exactly where the failure is occurring. If you desire a resolution to this, YourMechanic offers a stalling diagnostic. If you request that service a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will diagnose the issue for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.