Q: Should we keep the car?

asked by on March 06, 2017

We bought our Audi about 18 months ago. It had 45,000 miles on it then and has 72,000 now, so let's say we put 18,000 miles on it per year.

We love the car, and are tempted to keep it for a while. If we keep it another five years, that'd be another 90,000+ miles, or 160,000+ in total.

Is it wise to hold onto this car for that long?

We've heard that Audis can have electrical problems as they age. We occasionally have the passenger seat sensor act up, particularly on cold days. Other than that, we've not had any problems with the car.

We are diligent about the service schedule, and beyond the schedule's recommendations, we change oil and rotate tires on 5,000 mile intervals. The fear is an annual $3,000-$5,000 repair, which coupled with the rapid depreciation would mean needing to sell it and recover some value might be tough.

Thanks for your help.

Hi there. If your budget is good to pay for the maintenance on the vehicle and you intend to keep the car, then I suggest on keeping the car. If you are worried about your budget on the car, then maybe you could look into a vehicle that does not cost a lot for maintenance. Keep in mind, all vehicles will require maintenance and require a budget for the maintenance.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr