Q: Gas tank's fuel pump stops pumping fuel randomly. Both fuel pumps are new, gas tank is clean, and a new fuel filters were installed.

engine would idle crazy...would stall out and shut down. found that fuel wasn't being pumped from gas tanks..removed gas tanks..filled with rust..had tanks cleaned, installed new pumps , sending units, replaced all fuel filters, replaced fuel pump on chassis, replaced air filter...ran great a few days , then stop running. checked to find pumps were not running. a day later it runs fine . then randomly shuts down. any ideas ?

Hello. The first thing to check when you have complete failure of the unit is the power supply. If the wiring going to the pump is loose or has a short somewhere, the power wont be delivered or will be spotty.

You should also check other electronic components in the circuit. This includes the fuel pump, fuse/relay, and the actual terminal that connects to the pump. Intermittently failing is usually a sign that the pump is going bad, and it is not impossible to get a "new" pump that doesn’t work.

If further investigating proves the related components are fine, don’t rule that out as an option. The best way to assure the pump is getting power is to check for voltage with a voltmeter at the pump’s terminal.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to properly diagnose your car’s stalling issue.

3. Gas tank's fuel pump stops pumping fuel randomly. Both fuel pumps are new, gas tank is clean, and a new fuel filters were installed.