Q: Transmission issue after a long drive

asked by on June 28, 2016

My car developed some shifting problems, when I drove it on the highway for a couple hundred miles on one occasion. It was hard to shift gears. However, after that day, there were no similar problems at all. I had the oil check, the dipstick, level and everything was looking good. The van has gone around 200,000 miles. I was wondering what I could do to prevent the transmission from going out. Should I change the fluid or get the transmission flushed? Do you have any suggestions?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

A few different faults can cause rough shifting after the vehicle warms up like this. The most likely would be the transmission fluid level, transmission filter, shift solenoids, torque converter, or the transmission linkage.

Any of these, once warmed up, have the potential to cause the vehicle to shift hard. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting problem and perform any repairs required.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr