Q: Timing chain jumped 2 teeth on my 2011 vw gti

About 4 days ago, I turned on my car for work and it started rattling really badly with the check engine light flickering on/off.

Around the 81k mark I got an oil change and I think the mechanic that did the oil change didn't twist it all the way and it started leaking. I drove it like that for about 700-800 miles after the oil change before it went haywire. I did notice a decline in power and thought it was because I was due for a tune up and planned to schedule for the 80k service at vw.

Here is what the dealership said exactly: "CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT / MIL LIGHT IS ON. RAN GFF FOUND FAULTY CODE P2187, P0507, P0341, P0016, P0300, P0301, P0302. MISFIRE CODE AND CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR AND CAMSHAFT CORRELATION BANK 1. CHECK OIL LEVEL FOUND LITTLE OIL IN THE CAR. FOUND OIL LEAKING FROM THE DRAIN PLUG. FOUND DRAIN PLUG LOOSE. INSPECT TIMING CHAIN FOUND TIMING CHAIN JUMP 2 TEETH.. RECOMMEND TO REPLACE TIMING CHAIN WITH BREATHER VALVE" $3450 quoted.

What to do?

I would stongly recommend taking your vehicle back to the place that changed the oil and showing them the information that the dealership gave you. I would request that they compensate you for the issues you are having with your vehicle as it is thier fault it ran low on oil and therefore should be under warranty. If the dealership was the one who changed your oil, they are responsible and should never have even quoted you a price at all. If the place that changed your oil is unwilling to cooperate with you, you may unfortunately have to file a lawsuit against them.

3. Timing chain jumped 2 teeth on my 2011 vw gti