I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota I just changed the oil and now...

Q: I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota I just changed the oil and now the oil pressure seems to go too high

asked by on November 12, 2017

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota v-6 I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago but now my oil pressure gauge reads high when I accelerate but when I slow down it reads normal or at idle but not always.

Check to make sure that you have the correct oil filter on the car and that the oil you put in the engine is of the correct viscosity recommended in the manual. If these things are correct you might have a problem with the oil pressure relief valve. The oil pressure relief valve vents excess oil pressure back to the sump. In most cases the relief valve opens at about 80 PSI. It’s not unusual to have higher pressure when the engine is cold, and the pressure should go up some when the engine revs, but if it is going over 80 PSI you may have a problem. The first order of business is to put a test gauge on the engine to make sure this is not a problem with the instruments. You can have that done by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check your oil pressure and let you know what the problem.