Q: Gas pedal not working

asked by on February 25, 2016

After giving my battery a jump and mixing up the leads, the engine starts, but nothing happens when I press the gas pedal. I don't know if it's the alternator or a blown fuse. I get no RPMs.

Your vehicle uses an electronic throttle instead of a conventional throttle cable. In this system, the control module receives a signal from the accelerator pedal position sensor. The module then uses this information to control the motor to adjust throttle position. The only thing I can think of, is that some part of this system got damaged when you hooked the battery cables up backwards. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle firsthand to see if this is the case. They will be able to diagnose why your car does not move when you press the gas pedal and recommend appropriate repairs to have this problem solved.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr