Q: I get a vibration when I put the car in gear in neutral. It runs smooth. I was thinking motor mounts?

Recently purchased this vehicle had to put a water pump in it. The other problem I'm having is this one car idles good starts a bit rough sometimes then idles fine but when accelerating I get a vibration and humming sound almost and a clunk sometimes between first and 2nd. I'm hoping it's the mounts or maybe even a cv axel it seems like this only happens bad when I accelerate fast. Feels kinda rough when sitting at a stop light put it in neutral smooth as ever. any ideas?

Hi there. Engine mounts can definitely cause a roughness at idle, clunks, and thumps upon acceleration. Smooth out of gear and rough in gear is one indication of a mount type issue. It may feel better in reverse than it does in drive. There are several engine/transmission mounts and possibly a torque strut. All the mounts should be properly inspected for sagging or breakage. There are other possibilities for a rough idle. I recommend having your vehicle’s rough idle diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to have this resolved properly.

• I get a vibration when I put the car in gear in neutral. It runs smooth. I was thinking motor mounts?