Q: Fuel pump 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass

I recently bought a 77 Cutlass that won't turn over. I replaced the fuel pump on the block, am I correct that there shouldn't be one in the tank? However, after replacing the fuel pump it still won't turn over, it will turn over with the help of starter fluid. What should my next step be in getting it started?

Hello - you are correct, there will not be an additional fuel pump in the gas tank, only the mechanical pump at the engine. Check first to see if the fuel pump is pulling fuel from the tank, and pushing it to the carburetor. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and securely route it to a catch can. Spin the starter for a few seconds and make sure the pump is pumping fuel. If so, the next step is to rebuild the carburetor to get you running again. If no fuel is being pump, may need to replace the fuel filter, and check fuel lines and the tank for rust, clogged fuel lines, and other supply issues. For assitance, I recommend a car is not starting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Fuel pump 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass