Brakes easily lock up on snow brake system l4-2.4l clunki...

Q: Brakes easily lock up on snow

asked by on May 17, 2016

I have to slowly ease into the brakes. If I don't, they start making a clunk noise and the wheel goes a little back and forth; plus the brake pedal vibrates. I've had the brakes checked - no problems. What do you think is causing the problem?

There are two possible causes that come to mind:

1. The brakes have excessive runout and are warped
  2. A wheel bearing is failing

If the wheel bearing has failed, it can cause some serious problems if not dealt with. A qualified technician, like the ones at YourMechanic, should have little trouble diagnosing the source of the clunking noise you are hearing.