Q: Car suddenly not starting - 1997 Honda Civic

asked by on November 07, 2016

I am trying to find out if the alternator or the distributor has gone out on my Honda. It started fine yesterday, multiple times without any problems and I try to start it this morning and it will not turn over. I tried around 3 times to start it this morning without any luck.

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1090.49 Get a Quote
Battery Replacement $229.45 - $369.99 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like a failed starter or battery. Have a battery test performed with a digital battery tester that provides the cold cranking amps and state of health. Check all fuses/relays and replace as necessary. Perform a voltage drop test on the battery cable that goes to the starter to determine is excessive resistance is the cause. If all else checks ok, it could very well be a starter.

There are some other possibilities and I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car is not starting inspection so that this gets repaired correctly.