Q: Fuel rail pressure sensor has failed.

asked by on March 02, 2017

My local mechanic in this small Iowa town of less than 1,000 pop. has found the fuel rail pressure sensor to be bad in our Sonata. He's ordered a new one from a Hyundai dealer that is an hour drive away but it's not expected to get to the dealer until tomorrow. My mechanic says when he disconnected the sensor the car started and ran fine, which was good to know, since he can now get it into and out of his bay without pushing it. Question: Is it okay to drive the car until the new sensor arrives? Or might driving it now do damage to the engine?

Without knowing the reason the vehicle will start with the sensor disconnected then it would be advisable to not drive the vehicle without getting it repaired. The fuel pressure sensor is used to control the fuel pressure to the motor by changing fuel pump output pressure. Without the sensor hooked up the pump will run at a set speed and may cause engine to run at reduced power and throttle.