Q: Transmission. Car turning off when changing gears.

I have taken my car now to 2 different mechanics. My car has felt like hesitating at times. It has though turned off completely for example at the gas station after turning my car on I change gears to D it turns off. Lights still on. It took a few times for it to finally stay running after put in drive. I have just gotten back in town from Miami to NC with it 1 time having the issue. It feels as if it hesitates at a red light at times. I've read that there has been issues with this same thing I'm Nissan but the Nissan dealership seems to not know what it could be. No dash signs or engine lights come on when it happens just the sign brake. I feel unsafe driving my car. What could it be?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. This is a common issue on a lot of Nissan vehicles. Most of the time it is due to a faulty throttle body. The throttle motor fails at times and cannot keep the throttle plate open to the right angle. In some other cases the throttle body may just be dirty and can be cleaned. I usually start by doing a visual check and cleaning it if it is dirty. If that does not help then I replace it. Most of the time before I replace it I will drive the vehicle with my scan tool installed to check the throttle readings and some of the time you can see the throttle angle change when it is not supposed to. I have also seen the crankshaft position sensor cause this but most of the time this is on the 2010 and older models. If you are looking to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. Transmission. Car turning off when changing gears.