Q: Engine smokes after an oil change

Is it normal for a little bit of smoke to be coming out of the engine after an oil change? I've filled a little bit into the engine after the ten minute drive to the supermarket, the engine was smoking.

A: Yes, on a lot of vehicles it is normal. Whe...

Yes, on a lot of vehicles it is normal. When you change your oil, a lot of times oil will drip off the oil filter when you take it off and get on the exhaust manifold and on the engine. So a lot of times it will smoke. Try to wipe a lot of that off and maybe get a little engine degreaser. Spray it on and wipe that off. But a lot of times it will spill.

Just watch it because you have to make sure you have that oil filter is on tight and it's not squirting oil. If you have the oil drain plug on tight, it's not going to be dripping oil.

If the smoke doesn't go away, then it'll need to be checked before any serious engine damage occurs. If that is the case, I would have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the smoke and see if there are any urgent repairs that are needed.