Q: How much is a flywheel and torque converter? Are those parts worth replacing on my vehicle?

asked by on December 18, 2016

On yesterday, I took my car to a mechanic shop. I was told once they did a diagnostic and reviewed some other things on my 2003 Ford Taurus, that it needed a new starter. I then had the starter replaced after that the mechanic called me and informed me that the vehicle still would NOT START!

I was then told that a flywheel and torque converter needs to be replaced in my car; its not a guarantee but it could very very well be that. Simply because when you turn the ignition the fly wheel and torque converter is not catching in order for the ignition to start.

So shortly thereafter, I asked the mechanic "What would you do?" He then said if its causing all of these issues why not just sell it? Needless to say I cant do that because I have no other mode of transportation. Im completely confused, I feel cheated and extremely lost.

Can someone please shed some insight on my situation??

When the starter was diagnosed as bad the flywheel teeth the starter mate to when trying to turn over the engine may have broken or worn teeth and cannot engage each other anymore. Why the torque converter would need replaced I would need to know if the transmission has a shifting problem? I do not see why it would need to be replaced to get the vehicle to crank over. If you do not trust your mechanic word on the needed repairs then have a second opinion check from another mechanic like one from YourMechanic.