Q: What should I know about loading cargo and luggage on the roof luggage carrier?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What should I know about loading cargo and luggage on the roof luggage carrier?

If your car is equipped with a roof luggage carrier, you’ll find that it offers a significant amount of additional cargo space than what’s available in the cargo compartment alone. Of course, there are several things that you need to know prior to loading up your roof luggage carrier:

• Don’t overload the carrier.

• Put the luggage as far forward as possible to help keep the vehicle’s weight even.

• Limit the amount of additional weight you add to help improve fuel economy.

• Load your cargo with the vehicle level.

• Don’t stack the cargo high (try to keep it to a single level).

• Use the interior cargo compartment whenever possible rather than the roof carrier.

• Never put cargo directly on the roof (only on the cross rails).